What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas produced when carbon based fuels such as coal, oil, wood or gas are not burned up completely. Carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless and very difficult to detect. It is toxic if inhaled and can cause serious side-effects.  In some cases, it can prove fatal.

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and What are the Symptoms?

Carbon monoxide is an extremely toxic and harmful substance, and when breathed in, it can severely inhibit the body’s ability to absorb oxygen.  Without oxygen, the cells and tissues in your body will die.  This can lead to damage to the blood vessels, swelling in the brain and loss of consciousness. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, sickness and nausea, tiredness, stomach pain, confusion, headaches and breathing difficulties.  Some may even collapse after exposure to carbon monoxide. If you are exposed to lower levels of carbon monoxide over a longer period of time, you may experience more subtle symptoms such as mood changes, loss of memory or mental deterioration.

How Does Poisoning Occur?

You can be exposed to carbon monoxide either at home or at work.  Any appliance that burns a carbon based fuel may be prone to leaking carbon monoxide.   Some examples include:

  • Boilers
  • Central Heating Systems
  • Cookers
  • Fires
  • Car exhaust fumes
  • Industrial processes
  • Gas heaters

  If you have developed carbon monoxide poisoning and your exposure was not your fault, you may be entitled to make a claim. All appliances must be installed correctly and checked once a year to ensure they have not become damaged.  Carbon monoxide fumes that leak into your home or workplace can be completely unnoticeable.  The first indication that you have been exposed may be when symptoms develop. You may be able to make a claim for compensation if you can prove that your exposure was not your fault.  For example, if you were exposed at work due to faulty appliances or not being provided with the proper personal protective equipment. If you’re in rented accommodation, you may also be able to make a claim if exposure occurred in your home or if your exposure was due to an appliance being faulty when it was sold to you or installed incorrectly.

How Can I Make a Claim?

If you believe you have been exposed to carbon monoxide and have developed symptoms as a result of this, it’s important to see a doctor straight away and obtain a diagnosis.  If the exposure was not your fault, you may have a good basis for a personal injury claim. However, there are strict time limits on submitting a claim, so it’s important to speak to a claims expert straight away.  For more information on how Cute Injury can help, get in touch today using the options below...

CALL US FREE ON 08000 10 60 66 or use our CLAIM CALCULATOR

Cute Injury can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch with us today

Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.