Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, sometimes called industrial injury benefit, is a government funded benefit scheme for those who are disabled due to an accident they have suffered at work, or those who are suffering from certain diseases that were brought on due to an unsafe work environment.

Who Qualifies for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit?

Those who qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit are those who are disabled because of:

  • An accident they had whilst at work;
  • An accident they suffered whilst working; or
  • Certain diseases they are now suffering from brought on by their work environment.

  On the last point – only industrial diseases qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, for example, those who have developed mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos. Another example would be hearing loss suffered as a result of a noisy work environment. Something worth noting about Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is that you can receive it even if you are in work currently or if you choose to go back to work. However, those who are self-employed are not eligible.

How Much Can I Receive?

The amount of payment you receive for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit will depend on your age and the extent of your disability. To be eligible you must be assessed to have at least 14% disablement, although there are exceptions to this. Payment for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit are in the form of 10% increments – starting at 20% (disablement of 14-19% is rounded up for payment purposes) going all the way up to 100%. The minimum amount of payment available is £33.20 per week for those with 20% disablement; with maximum payout for those who are 100% disabled receiving £166.00. You can see the full table of payout amounts here.

How Do I Make a Claim?

The first step to making a claim for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is to download a claim form, which you can access here. There are separate forms that apply depending on whether you are claiming for an accident or an injury. In addition the filling in the form, you will also need to provide your National Insurance number and proof of your identity. If you disagree with the decision made on your claim then you can choose to request a written statement of reasons. If you still disagree then you can appeal the decision, although the appeal must be made within a month so you should seek legal advice as soon as possible.

If Your Circumstances Change

If there are any changes to your circumstances then it is important to inform the office that deals with your claim immediately. Changes in circumstances that you must declare include:

  • Your condition improves significantly;
  • You change your name for any reason including marrying, remarrying or forming a civil partnership;
  • You move to a new address;
  • You got to prison; or
  • You leave the country.
Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.