Traffic accidents are always distressing for those involved, but if the other driver turns out to be uninsured, or driving a stolen vehicle, the situation can be even more traumatic. It's not only other motorists that are at risk.  Uninsured drivers can cause harm to cyclists, motorcyclists, passengers and pedestrians. If you find yourself involved in a road accident that was not your fault, you may be able to make a personal injury claim.  If the third party driver responsible for the accident was uninsured or driving a stolen car, you may still be able to claim, but your claim may be processed slightly differently.

Who Will Pay my Claim if the Third Party is Uninsured?

Uninsured Drivers:  It may be that the person who caused the accident was not insured to drive the vehicle involved in the accident, BUT the vehicle may be insured for someone else to drive.  In these cases, some insurance companies will still pay out compensation to the innocent party.  However, this is at the discretion of the insurance company, and if they refuse, your only recourse will be to approach the Motor Insurers' Bureau and ask them to make a claim on your behalf. Stolen Vehicles: If it turns out that the third party was driving a stolen vehicle, then (provided the legal owner of the vehicle has valid insurance) the owner's insurance policy may pay out for personal injury claims to the innocent party.  Again, this is at the insurance company's discretion.  If the insurance company will not accept your claim, you should contact the Motor Insurers' Bureau for advice on making a claim through them.

How Can the Motor Insurers' Bureau Help?

The Motor Insurance Bureau (or MIB) is an organisation which helps innocent members of the public who have sustained injury as a result of an accident with an uninsured driver or a hit and run incident where the driver is untraced. If you find yourself in this position, you can go straight to the Motor Insurers' Bureau without speaking to a solicitor.  However, due to the lengthy and convoluted processes involved, it is recommended that you seek legal advice and allow your solicitor to guide you through the process.

What You Need to Do After the Accident

In order to submit a claim, it must be provable that the other driver was at fault. It is advisable to collect the names and contact details of any witnesses.  If at all possible, take photographs of the scene of the accident and document your injuries and medical treatments, ensuring you keep receipts for travel and prescription expenses. If the driver who caused the accident admits to being uninsured, driving a stolen vehicle, or leaves the scene without leaving details, you must report this to the police immediately.

Making a claim

There are time limits imposed on how long after the incident you will be able to make a claim, so it is vital to speak to a claims expert as soon as possible. For more information on how Cute Injury can help you, get in touch today.

Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.