If you are suffering from organophosphate poisoning then you may be entitled to compensation. Organophosphate compounds are synthetically created with chemicals and are used in thousands of pesticides. It is the most commonly used insecticide in the world. Used correctly and with the right protective clothing, they are thought to be safe. However, it is an employer’s responsibility to ensure that due care is taken to protect their employee’s health. If they have neglected to do so and you are diagnosed with organophosphate poisoning, you could be entitled to compensation.

What are Organophosphate Compounds Used for?

Organophosphates are mainly used in pesticides.

Am I at Risk of Organophosphate Poisoning?

Those who work in the agricultural sector are more at risk of organophosphate poisoning, especially those that use sheep dips or harvest and pack crops. People who live or work in the vicinity are also open to exposure. If you have been diagnosed with organophosphate poisoning, then you are entitled to make an organophosphate poisoning compensation claim.


How do you get Organophosphate Poisoning?

Organophosphate poisoning comes about when it is ingested or inhaled. You can also contract organophosphate poisoning through skin contact. In this instance then the affected clothing should be removed immediately and the skin thoroughly washed. In both instances, medical assistance should be sought as soon as possible.

What are the Symptoms of Organophosphate Poisoning?

The symptoms of organophosphate poisoning vary with each individual and depend on the type of exposure to it. In general the onset of symptoms is rapid, usually developing within 24 hours of exposure. At mild levels, individuals will be tired, depressed, irritable and may suffer from insomnia. As it attacks the nervous system memory loss can also occur. Moderate symptoms include headaches, nausea, stomach cramps, restlessness, dizziness and anxiety. This can then lead to vomiting, sweating, blurred or disturbed vision, tremors, twitching, muscle weakness and it can even cause paralysis.

The more severe and serious symptoms of organophosphate poisoning include a tightness in the chest and coughing, which is the result of fluid collecting in the lungs (pulmonary oedema). This can make it very difficult for the individual to breathe and can lead to respiratory failure. It can also induce a coma and even prove to be fatal. If someone is suffering from organophosphate poisoning they may appear to be disorientated and confused. They may display behaviour that is completely out of character. If you or someone you know is displaying any of these symptoms then you should seek medical advice immediately.

Treatment of Organophosphate Poisoning

To confirm the diagnosis of organophosphate poisoning, blood and urine tests are usually taken. Once the diagnosis has been made, then the treatment will involve trying to remove the poison from the body and treating the actual symptoms that the patient presents with.

Making an Organophosphate Poisoning Compensation Claim

In the first instance, it is important to keep all the evidence. Write down dates and anything you feel is relevant to support your claim. When visiting the hospital or your doctor for treatment, make sure you inform them of the cause. Keep receipts for all expenses incurred whilst undergoing treatment, for example when you pay for prescriptions and for your travelling expenses.

For more information on how Cute Injury can help, get in touch today.

CALL US FREE ON 08000 10 60 66 or use our CLAIM CALCULATOR

Cute Injury can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch with us today

Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.