Gas Safety in Your Home

If you smell gas in your home – call the National Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 immediately.

A failure or malfunction in your gas boiler or heater could be an accident waiting to happen.

If it leaks, due to poor installation or improper maintenance, poisonous carbon monoxide can be released – having the potential to make you extremely ill, and in the worst cases, even lead to a quick death.

This is why gas safety is crucial.

Approximately 7 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year, according to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) from poorly maintained gas applicances.

As gas is often colourless, odourless and tasteless, it can be impossible to detect it without a carbon monoxide alarm. Unfortunately, it is often too late by the time people realise they have a carbon monoxide leak.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for flu, food poisoning, viral infections and tiredness, as the signs include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

If you ever experience any of these symptoms, make sure you seek medical attention straight away – it could simply be a flu, but it is best to get yourself checked out just in case.

Gas Safety Engineers and the Law

It is extremely important to have your boiler installation done by someone who’s Gas Safe registered - you can check the register on their website to find a gas safety engineer near you in your local area.

It is a legal requirement that all gas engineers are registered here, so that any services are carried out safely and legally.

Any Gas Safe engineer will have an ID number and their card will show what type of gas work they can carry out and should ensure that your boiler is Gas Safe registered. If someone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer carries out gas work in your home, you are risking the safety of you and anyone else in your home, and your property.

If you live in rented accommodation, all landlords and housing associations are obliged by law to ensure that all gas appliances and related pipes and flues in their property are checked for safety every 12 months. They must issue a copy of the Gas Safe Certificate to the tenant within 28 days and also give a copy to any new tenants moving in.

Some warning signs that boilers (or other gas appliances) are not working properly or need a check include:

  • Clunking sounds.
  • Any black marks or stains on the boiler.
  • A lot of condensation in the room when the boiler is.
  • Small yellow flames, when there should be blue ones.
  • Strange smells coming from the gas appliance.

To avoid any risks and disasters, it is highly important to get a Gas Safe Registered engineer to perform annual checks on all your gas appliances - including boilers, gas cookers and gas fires. You must be provided with a gas safe renewal certificate for them all.

If your boiler is not registered with Gas Safe then you should have it checked by a registered engineer who can carry out any essential maintenance before issuing you with a Gas Safe certificate. Those living in rented accommodation - the landlord must pay for the cost of a gas safe certificate.

Useful tip: the HSE also has some important information and other resources for gas engineers, home owners, landlords, students, etc.

How to Claim Compensation From a Gas Engineer

Unfortunately, personal injury cases do arise where the gas engineer or landlord didn’t take appropriate measures to ensure the safety of those living in the house or apartment.

You, or someone you know, may have had a gas related injury that wasn’t your fault - be it gas burns or carbon monoxide poisoning from your gas engineer failing to carry out the necessary actions or safety checks. If so, you could claim for compensation to help with recovery and any financial loss suffered (lost earnings because of time off work and home damage).

At Cute Injury, we have a team of specialist legal experts who can guide you through every step of the way.

We can help with identifying that your landlord or engineer knew, or ought to have known, about the problem - either because you have previously told them about a fault with the defective boiler or heater, or perhaps because they failed to carry out the necessary annual gas safety checks properly.

Gas is a transparent and potentially lethal substance – share this article with other homeowners to remind them of the importance of gas safety checks and to prevent injury or even death.

Alternatively, give us a call for free today to see how we can help you with your compensation claim.

CALL US FREE ON 08000 10 60 66 or use our CLAIM CALCULATOR

Cute Injury can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch with us today

 

Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.