Dioxins are a class of chemical compounds known to be toxic.  They’re persistent environmental pollutants and can be harmful to humans, causing symptoms associated with Dioxin Poisoning.  Dioxin Poisoning symptoms can range from mild to life-threatening.

Dioxins are often the by-product of industrial manufacturing processes and can be found in trace amounts, in our environment, but in such tiny quantities that they cause no ill effects. However, certain kinds of dioxin can remain in the environment for years.

Who gets Dioxin Poisoning?

People who work in industries where dioxins are emitted during the manufacturing process are most at risk.  Dioxin poisoning can be contracted by inhaling dust; it can be ingested orally or via skin contact. Dioxin poisoning is most likely to be contracted by:

  • Workers at paper or pulp mills
  • Firefighters
  • Recycling plant workers
  • Staff at water treatment facilities
  • Any workplace where pesticides are manufactured or used

 It’s also possible to contract dioxin poisoning from the environment when industrial waste has been disposed of incorrectly or dumped in seas, rivers and landfill sites, or into the air. However, if you’ve been exposed to high levels of dioxins, you may have become ill or developed worrying symptoms consistent with dioxide poisoning.  If that’s the case, you may be entitled to claim compensation.

Dioxin Poisoning Symptoms

Some symptoms of dioxin poisoning manifest almost immediately, whilst others can develop over time. Immediate Dioxin Poisoning symptoms:

  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting

  Long-term Dioxin Poisoning symptoms can be more serious:

  • Chloracne (a chronic skin condition characterised by acne-type lesions, rashes, skin discolouration and an increase in body hair).
  • Metabolic disruption
  • Hormonal imbalances
  • Infertility in men
  • Cancer

What should I do if I have Dioxin Poisoning?

If you suspect you may have dioxin poisoning, you should seek medical advice immediately.  Tests are available to establish the presence of dioxins in your bloodstream.  Should you be diagnosed, treatment will focus on treating the skin condition, lowering the levels of dioxins in your in the bloodstream and repairing as much liver damage as possible.

Can it be Prevented?

Dioxin poisoning can be prevented.  In a workplace, it is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that the necessary safety practices are observed and that protective clothing and equipment are supplied to staff as needed. If you’ve been exposed to dioxins at your place of work and have become ill as a result, you may be able to make a claim.

How do I Make a Claim?

The first step is to seek legal advice about claiming compensation.  Be aware that you will only be able to make a claim if it is provable that your illness is:

  • Caused by exposure to dioxins
  • That exposure was due to negligence on the part of a company or individual

  There is a time limit within which you can make a claim, known as a “statute of limitations”, so it is vital that you get advice as soon as possible.

CALL US FREE ON 08000 10 60 66 or use our CLAIM CALCULATOR

Cute Injury can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch with us today

Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.