Keeping Safe at Work and Know your Rights!

We at Cute Injury care about you!
We want you to look after yourself which is why we have produced this article for you.
Did you know that approximately 72,000 people suffered from non-fatal work place related injuries last year?
It is very important to know your rights! Your Employer has a Legal Duty to protect you and create a safe working environment whilst you are at work
Certain accidents and incidents need to be reported by law.
Pay you Sick Pay and allow you to take time off work if you need it if you have suffered from a work place related Accident or illness. Take a look at the most recent HSE figures for the period covering 2015/16 for work related accidents:
  • 144 workers killed at work in 2015/16
  • 72,702 suffered from other injuries and were reported under RIDDOR in 2015/16
  • 469,000 cases where injuries occurred that resulted in an absence of less than 7 days
  • 152,000 over 7 day absence injuries occurred in 2015/16
  • 1.3 million working people were suffering from a work-related illness in 2015/16
  • 30.4 million working days were lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury  in 2015/16
  • Workplace injuries and ill health (excluding cancer) cost society an estimated £14.1 billion in 2015/16

Report an Accident At Work

If you have suffered an Injury at Work this should be recorded in your employer's 'Accident Book', this applies for both major and minor accidents. All employers (except for very small companies) have a duty to keep an accident at work book.

Who is Responsible?

Your employer must carry out a risk assessment of your work place.
Included in this is a need to decide how many first aiders are needed and the type of first aid equipment required. Employees also have a duty to take reasonable care over their own health and safety.
First aiders have no right to extra pay, but some employers do offer this.
They should also place a certificate, (with the name of their insurance company) where it can be seen at work. If not, they must give you the details of the insurer should you ask for them. In the event that you do need to make a claim for Compensation Your employer cannot dismiss you.

Sick Pay

In most cases, should you need time off because of an accident in the workplace you will only have the right to Statutory Sick Pay.
Your employer may have a scheme for paying extra for time off caused by accidents at work. Or, they might decide to pay extra depending on what has happened.

Claiming Compensation

If you have suffered injured in an accident at work and you think your employer might be responsible, you may decide to make a claim for compensation.
Our solicitors can take your case on a No Win No Fee* basis.
Contact us now.
*source, HSE statistics for Great Britain 2016

Call us free on
08000 10 60 66


Latest news

Injury Resources

Full library of resources to learn more about the different types of personal injury and the claims process

Personal Injury Resources





Copyright © 2018 Cute Injury, All rights reserved. This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By using this site you consent to our use of cookies.