Making a claim for injury as a passenger

Start your enquiry

Road traffic accidents happen all the time, and it’s very common for those involved to be injured – see more on car accident statistics – both drivers and passengers.

If you suffer an injury in a car accident when someone else is driving, then you have a right to make a claim for compensation from the driver that was at fault – whichever car they were driving.

What can an injured passenger claim for?

An injured passenger can claim compensation for the same losses as the driver: personal injury and any financial heads of claim like loss of earnings, medical costs and rehabilitation.

It’s also not unusual for those riding ‘pillion’ on a motorcycle to make a claim for damage sustained to their helmets, leathers and other protective clothing.

What if the driver is uninsured?

If it transpires that the driver liable for the accident doesn’t have insurance, then you can pursue a claim for compensation via the Motor Insurers Bureau, who maintain and operate a special compensation scheme for victims of uninsured drivers which every insurance company contributes to by law.

Even if the uninsured driver cannot be traced after the accident, it is still possible to pursue a claim through the MIB.

Start your enquiry

Make sure you report the accident

It is important to make sure that you report the accident to police, as the Road Traffic Act 1988 stipulates that any driver or passenger should report the accident if:

  • Any parties sustained an injury
  • The other driver didn’t stop
  • The drivers didn’t exchange details


What is the most common passenger injury?

By far, the most common injury sustained in car accidents – by drivers as well as passengers – is whiplash. As well as whiplash, cuts and bruises are also very common and feature in many car accident injury claims.

How to make a passenger injury claim

If you have suffered an injury as a passenger and would like to learn more about how we can help, get in touch with Cute Injury below…

Enquire   Call back